Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicas stolen - LUG strikes back!
From: corbeau@hekizan.com
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:27:19 -0700

Yes, but remember you will be putting a teenage mother in jail and likely
her kids into a foster home rather than giving her another chance - all
over a camera that has been returned.

Through the veil of distance, I have a feeling the cop/judge in charge knew
exactly what they were doing when they processed the case.  Future
deterrence likely was not the sole motivation.  This comes from close
association with cops in the rural south (father was a Captain, uncle a Lt)
and I've heard seemingly a 'jillion stories like this.

I'll leave out my position re right/wrong, just wanted to point out that
there was probably more going on than not knowing how much a new Leica was
worth.  Tacoma, WA isn't quite that backward.

I think Dave's suggestion is excellent and might be an interesting piece of
PJ if the thief was willing.  You'd be able to find out how she thought she
was helping her kids (school tuition, clothes, shoes?) or whether she was
actually filling some other habit.  Too bad this project wasn't stipulated
as 'community service' so that it could be used in education materials for
future offenders, etc.  However, there are probably reams of laws why this
couldn't be done.

Very glad you got the gear back,

C.