Subject: [Leica] Using a Hexar RF and Bessa R2 in China
From: howard cummer <cummer@netvigator.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:37:21 +0800

Hello Luggers,
I have been off the list since August 2 but following along from time to
time by reading the archives  while I was travelling. It is interesting how
the heat of battle is cooled by the time you get to reading about the
controversy of the hour/day in the archives. I have just come back from two
days in China shooting pictures in Tianjin, Jinan and out in the
countryside of Shandong Province. I originally packed my R8 and lenses from
19 to 180 but decided on hefting the camera bag to repack with the Hexar
RF, the Bessa R2 and only three lenses - the Heliar 15, the Tri Elmar and
my 75 Summilux. My kit in the field consisted of the 3E on the Hexar, and
the 75 on the Bessa R2. This gave me 28, 35, 50 and 75 without changing any
lenses. I standardized on 100 ASA Fuji Neg Film for bright times and 400
ASA Fuji Neg for less bright times. My 3E works perfectly on my Hexar RF,
bringing up the frame lines without problem, and without any back focus
problem. Despite the comparatively short rangefinder base on the R2, since
I was using the 75 mostly at f5.6 to f8.0 during the daylight hours, my
focusing errors were covered, in most cases, by depth of field. I really
like the fact that the framelines for the 75 are by themselves in the R2
viewfinder. I get confused sometimes using the 50/75 frameline combination
on my M6 and prefer the single frameline instead. I have had developed 10
rolls of film and am very pleased with the results and expect I will use
this light and versatile combination more often in my China travels. The
Heliar didn't get used for more than three or four pictures.
Nice to be back.
Howard Cummer.