Subject: Re: [Leica] FW: RIP - Manuel Alvarez Bravo
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:47:11 -0700

I've had the opportunity to see MAB's work over the past 30 odd years,
and I always marvelled at the art world's fawning over him. While there
is a level of competency inherent in his images, they are nowhere near
the level of Weston, and some of the others from that era.
Recently, the Central Library in Los Angeles had both the work of MAB
and EW showing side by side. It did nothing to dispel my perception of
the marked qualitative difference between the two. EW is decidedly a
master photographer, while MAB's work looked like that of a student's,
with sparse moments of brilliance.
HCB's appellation of "artist" being given to a photographer is in itself
laughable, especially when one considers his own agonizing over the
definition of his commercial work.
With all due respect to the memory of MAB, his greatest accomplishment
to me is that of his longevity and not in the quality of his work.
Slobodan Dimitrov