Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Portrait photographer in Phoenix?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:41:21 -0700

Brian Reid wrote:

> I'm claiming listowner's prerogative to go off topic here.
>
> A dear friend of mine needs a portrait sitting of his 90-year-old mother taken in Phoenix, Arizona, USA on Saturday October 19. He's looking for formal portraiture in the style that a 90-year-old would resonate with. The yellow pages aren't much help. Do any of you know any high-end posed formal portrait people in Phoenix?
>
> (I know about Cecil Smith. Wrong kind of pose).
>
> --

The key is not to look under the "Photographers, Portrait" section of
the yellow pages.
In a town that size they'd likely all be hacks.

Look under the "Photographers, Commercial" section. There lies the real
photographers.
People think we'd not shoot real people but we do.

Think of it "Fashion" photographers are not in the Portrait section are
they they are in the Commercial section. You know! The people who shoot
the cover of the TV Guide!!
In other words real photographs. Some Commercial photographers such as
myself do a lot of "promotional" photography. Which are photographs of
Actors, Singers, Dancers and Model Portfolios. But we of course lower
ourselves to shooting non "professional" people when it's time to pay
the rent.
You'll pay more for the session but less for the prints.

Call it "magazine" quality photography.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com