Subject: Re: [Leica] "Digital Back For My Leica".....Dreaming?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:07:08 -0700

"Ginex, Mike" wrote:

> I've heard many comments suggesting the digital modification to existing
> bodies of Leica cameras, primarily to do with the backs, which seems logical
> and not outside the realm of modern technology at a level even a dummy like
> me can perceive. Wouldn't it be a fabulously successful venture for Solms to
> pursue, given the almost hysterical devotion we Leica owners are guilty of.
> Imagine being able to use my Leica both with film AND photoshop. The
> flexibility couldn't be more comprehensive to say nothing of what effect it
> may have on the entire industry. Of course there is the planned obsolescence
> part of it, which may prevent the whole effort, i.e.; "can we make more
> money selling new digital cameras than selling attachments to existing
> ones"?  All I know is if Leica came out with a digital back for their M's I
> would buy both, in addition to adding a back or two to my R collection.
> Maybe I'm out in left field on this one but I get excited when I think of
> the possibilities.
>
> Mike

I heard some very convincing rumors last weekend here in Portland at the
LHSA thing on Leica coming out with a digital camera for the R series.
These people who should be in the know are claiming such a camera has
become a first priority for the Leica people over there in Germany. I'm
glad they've wised up if that's the case i'd like to see the R camera
kept in the running as a pro tool option but without the digital
capability it is not on the menu. AF can be left out. Not digital capture.
A big issue seems to be they want to go with a full 24x36mm chip.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com