Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - Traveling to Canada from US...
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:08:23 -0400

Hi Dave,

> Since then the rules have changed.  A quick look at the Canadian
> Embassy web site
> at www.canadianembassy.org returned the following:
>
> ...You will, however, need (1) proof of your U.S.
> citizenship such as (a) your U.S. passport or (b) original or
> certified copy of
> your birth certificate and photo identification.
> A driver's
> license or Social Security card is not valid proof of
> citizenship.

That's most interesting, and I wonder why they would not accept a driver's
license...but I guess you don't need to be a citizen to get a driver's
license?

> However, U.S. citizens should use their U.S. passports
> when entering
> or leaving the United States

We drove up to my in-law's house, and found a certified copy of his birth
certificate, and I will FedEx it to him tomorrow.  The birth certificate is
a joke...something I could print out on my Epson color printer.  I don't
understand how they hold so much credence in a piece of paper that has no
real formal identification that you are the one on the paper, no official
designation, no consistent format etc.  It, as I said, could just as soon be
something I made up on my computer and printed out, rumpled it up a bit etc.

Regards,

Austin