Subject: RE: [Leica] Federal Express request
From: Pat Perez <pat@patperez.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:35:16 -0700 (PDT)

From a strict legal standpoint, the Social Security
number can only be required for SS benefits, or income
taxation purposes. Unfortunately, the public has
apathetically allowed various institutions to co-opt
the use of the number over the years, and now it is a
key piece of information used in identity theft scams.
FedEx has no legitimate need for the SSN of anyone but
their employees. If this is in fact a real request
from FedEx, then I would either insist they accept a
different form of identification, or else, not give
the ifo (since the original poster wasn't aware of
anything he had ordered being shipped to him).

Pat