Subject: [Leica] Pultz's PAW (10/7/2002)
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 20:22:12 -0400

Folks,

I've gone off the deep end with the number of photos this week, but had a
bunch I wanted to share.

http://quazynet.no-ip.org/PAW/PAW17.htm

One of my favorite subjects is cemetery or church yards. Friday I stopped
by Mt Hope Cemetery, a large burial ground near my home. There are other
photos on my site from there, mostly of the 19th century part, which I've
gotten rather burnt out on. But Friday I explored some of the newer areas
that I usually ignore, and found much to intrigue. Statues, flowers,
weirdness, and pictures of the deceased on the stones, a practice I find so
creepy.

These shots are helped very much by some info I got from the LUG last week.
First, in reply to a question about tuning color balance with Photoshop,
someone pointed out Eddie Tapp's 90% method of color correction. I had no
idea how awful the balance was on a lot of my stuff, but this trick has
taught me a lot in just a week. (I've spent hours fixing older shots in my
gallery and the latest prints I've made are far better than previous work.
Even small corrections seem to greatly enhance the clarity of images.) The
other is the interesting twist on unsharp masking that somebody shared.
Thanks to both folks for these great tips.

Criticism is most welcome,

Carl