Subject: Re: [Leica] Increased grain in JOBO processing
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 21:42:40 +0200

Adam,

You will most likely need to modify some of your procedures with the
Jobo. First, with XTOL the pre-soak is not required. Second, you may
want to consider trying 1+2 or 1+3 dilutions. Finally, you will need to
run your own tests to determine the proper development times. Obviously,
with the continuous agitation they will be shorter than what you are
used to, but exactly how much shorter is something you have to determine
for yourself. A good starting point is 15% shorter than with
intermittent agitation.

Nathan

Adam Bridge wrote:
 > I ran my first roll of film through the JOBO last night. As I look at
 > the scanned images they appear to be a bit more grainy than my
 > hand-agitated ones.
 >
 > The primary difference I can document, besides the continuous
 > agitation, was that I processed at 24 C instead of 20 C  due to
 > water/air temperature issues.
 >
 > I did the pre-soak as required.
 >
 > I'm using Tri-X in XTOL 1:1.
 >
 > Tonality seems to be okay.
 >
 > Any thoughts you  have would be welcome.
 >
 > For example it's not clear to me what the effect of temperature in
 > processing is. Would working cooler affect the grain?
 >
 > Thanks in advance to your Jobo experts!
 >
 > Adam Bridge -- To unsubscribe, see

Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland