Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Printing 2200
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:31:22 -0700

J. Gilbert Plantinga writes:
 > Go to:
 >
 > http://www.digitalartsupplies.com/epsonprinters.html
 >
 > The 2200 is $698. They also sell the Sundance inks and the R9 software
 > which is the same (and now updated) system at that formerly sold as
 > Cone's PiezographyBW. A complete kit, _including_ the printer (Epson
 > 1280) is under $800.

If you're interested in quadtone black&white printing, you might want
to spend some time perusing the DigitalBlachAndWhiteThePrint mailing
list on yahoo:

The Sundance/PiezographyBW inks have some known problems (clogging,
color shifts) and there are several other interesting choices (I'm
partial to the MIS FSN set).

  http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?source=html/quadtone.html

The R9/Piezography software isn't strictly necessary either, though I
find it makes life easier and use it for all of my quadtone printing.
The mailing list file archive has a lot of good information about the
other "workflows" that allow one to print with various quadtone
inksets.

In any case, I'd recommend buying ink in cartridges at first (as
opposed to in bulk w/ a CIS) and seeing if *you* like the look on your
particular paper.  I'd recommend trying a couple of ink sets before
you commit to one, they're all pretty distinct.

g.