Subject: [Leica] Austing franklin is making me post FAMILY PHOTOS! [no no stop! It hurts us! Please! No more! No! not babies! Aak!]
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:14:41 -0400

>> we could be at cross scales here, but i never print 36 exposures from
>> a digital "roll" of film. i'm lucky if i get one image out of 36 that
>> i want to print.
>
> Obviously, you aren't talking about happy snaps of the family and you
don't have kids and a mother-in-law ;-)

i was hoping it would never come to this -- but here's how it works in the
cassidy family, kids and mothers-in-laws included:

1) i photograph the kids till I'm blue in the face.
2) i take the card out of the camera and dump it to the web
3) using a freeware program called "html-thubmnails" i generate thumbnails
for all x-zillion photos.
4) i send out an email letting mom, dad, sis, in-laws, hoo-ha's, etc. etc.
know that the photos are up. (usually about 15 minutes after they were
taken.
5) the whole family from madison to buffalo to florida to hawaii looks at
the pretty pix and prints the ones they want. Sometimes i get an email from
mom saying "ooh, please print me a nice big one of 234324.jpg" on your $200
color printer. Which i do if she's being nice.

And here's how it looks ... MY EVIL FAMILY PHOTOS from last week!

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/temp/wisconson/

SEE my nephews watch the addition being put on their house!
SEE the nephews playing chess!
SEE my mother-in-law's wedding!
SEE the ring bearer act like a clown and get carted away by his father!
SEE the new neice in her nice new dress!
SEE the bizarre truck with the feces logo!
SEE sawyer eating corn flakes!
SEE the hunt for BURIED PIRATE TREASURE!
SEE kyle and Linda wearing PIRATE EYE PATCHES!
GUESS which photos were taken by the five year old!
WONDER why i never post family photos to the LUG!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

370 some digital photos, no extra cost. i don't know what the cost of
processing 10 rolls of color print and getting doubles for them is at
Walmart, but i'd guess it would probably be around $80, plus the cost of ten
rolls of film, whatever that is. (In any event, this leaves kyle with $100
to spend on coffin polish, beer and CD's this weekend. (Woohoo!))

>> i hate the process between
>> pushing the shutter and seeing the result. and i hate the darkroom.
>> and i hate developing film. and i hate spending money to have someone
>> else develop it.
>
>Well, for $17, for 72 prints that make the in-laws happy, it's cheap.

But with digital, you could do the same thing for "free" (after blowing $$$
on your camera)....

>We are talking about two different uses.  i am comparing, what i consider,
comparable use...of course, when i >shoot something for "art", it's
developed by me, and printed by me...and I print very few...but the ones i
>print are spectacular, and they have a different audience.

i was hoping that the LUG would never find out that i took family snaps....
Oh, what have i come to?!

>P.S. Your capital "i" seems to be broken on your keyboard...you might want
to check taht out ;-)

It's a forced and pathetic exercise in hubris. Sort of like how some people
capitalize "God" when they're talking about their own, but backwards.
Neither microsoft nor Jim Brick seem to like it when i do it. (They both
must have a higher opinion of me than i do myself.)

kyle "reputation now ruined" cassidy