Subject: RE: [Leica] re: how easy/expensive is digital
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:36:29 -0400

Hi Adam,

> I think Kyle was addressing the typical uses of the LUG. I think
> most of the
> conversation here is about more serious work and not snapshots.

But most of the use for digital cameras are snapshots...that was what I was
addressing.  Also, they are more conducive to snapshots, as the 35mm-esque
digital cameras are out of most people's price range, and the cheap ones are
rampant...and their resolution is only really acceptable for a 4x6...  I
also believe the typical use of Leicas is B&W, I could be wrong, but I know
I rarely run a roll of color though mine, and a LOT of people talk about B&W
here far more so than color as my memory serves me.

> However, digital has completely changed the way I shoot
> snapshots. I take tons
> of pictures, my wife takes tons of pictures, we pull 'em into the
> Mac either
> with iPhoto or ImageCapture and toss out what we don't want -
> which is most of
> 'em.

Agreed, and I toss them out in the camera.

> This is all faster than shooting, taking in the film to be
> processed, printing a
> bunch of 4 x 5's I don't want, and then taking the pictures back
> to be printed
> larger.

I never get any enlargements (those I scan and make my self if I want them,
but that is far and few between, the 4x6s work fine).  I don't like fiddly
diddly with the computer just to print an image...at least these type of
images, I spend my time on the computer with MF images (or B&W images from
Leica/Contax), not my snapshots...

> Digital
> doesn't have
> the latitude that film does. Exposures have to be done with
> greater care. Maybe
> new sensor technology does a better job.

That is purely camera/sensor dependant.  That's not true overall.

> ...With a FireWire connection to the camera the
> process from capture
> to sort is much faster than for film.

That is absolutely true.

Regards,