Subject: [Leica] National Public Radio
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:13:19 -0400

I cheerfully admit to being an intellectual, whatever that may mean, and I
do enjoy classical music (pre-Beethoven, puh-leeze!, though Ludwig did
crank out a piece or two worthy of a listen on occasion).

NPR made the gross mistake, when private endowments were wildly available
in the 1970's and 1980's, of presuming that they were sancrosanct.  I do
not care for "Newt" Gingrich, that traitor to all rational libertarian
thought, but, at the same time, he did stir the troops up to start looking
to their own survival.

My local NPR station drones on mercilessly to contribute to their endowment
fund.  They have learned, as they should, that the mercy of Government is
most limited, unlike the mercy of God.  I am a taxpayer but, at the same
time, I will support NPR the more they opt to rely less on the public dole.
 Something stinks in a society where redneck-bar regulars are taxed to
support a radio station for the elite.  (And, yes, that is a snobby
comment, and, yes, I have a number of friends from the redneck class who
are classical-music or jazz freaks, but, as they will cheerfully tell you,
the guy next to them at the bar stool regards them as a hopeless lunatic.
Specifics are available off-List.)

Let us not be fiscal snobs.  Radio costs money.  NPR is a radio network.
It costs money to run the system.  All of us should give but, then, we
should all give to their endowment, not to their taxpayer-driven lust for
present funding.

I love NPR and support it, marginally.  I would be far more active in their
support if they would admit that they are a charity and would beg for
funding without reference to "the evils of Congress".  As it is, they act
like victims, while they should be pointing out the benefits that they
provide us all.  When they do so, I will increase my contribution.

And Mark Rabiner's comments deserve a silent response, but I will rise to
his exaccerbation, and will simply say that his mother taught him better,
and that he SHOULD listen to classical music, for the soothing effect
generated by Mozart's 21st Piano Concerto or that enigmatic 5th
Brandenburger of Bach ...

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!