Subject: Re: [Leica] What's in a name?
From: "Dizel" <webmaster@fucha.pl>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:55:02 +0200

> > If Kamera was the way Germans used to spell the word, why a C then in the
> > Leica name? Can any of our German members help with this answer?
> >

> I would guess because most of the world spells Kamera as camera.

I would guess that you say most of the world speak English? :)
In Polish (eh-hem!), Czech, Latvian, Russian, Lithuanian, Belarussian,
Hungarian, Norvegian, Swedish, German, Greek.. - to name a few -
letter "k" is spoken as 'k', like in camera :)
But I suppose that in the times just before IIww, English language
was indeed very popular - not because America, which was still in
its infancy - spoken it, but because Great Britain, a empire on
a weak legs, spreaded English language everywhere. In those times,
_the_ language of haute couture was still French, which reigned
for some centuries.. :)

> > When the Leica was first introduced the ads said; 'Leica Kamera' in Germany.
> > Now if the name Leica comes from LEItz & CAmera why wasn't 'Leica' spelled
> > 'Leika'?

BTW: do you remember what was the name of first dog in space, sent by Russians
some decases ago? :)
- --
                                St.
               (XS360 Diesel - Sampo Lappelil, ¬liMC)