Subject: RE: [Leica] 11MP CMOS was Thoughts on digital
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:48:40 -0400

Hi Don,

> When I was at PMA looking at all the output from all the digital
> cameras it
> was obvious that the images were carefully styled to avoid resolution
> issues.   You could find lovely masses of color but nothing with
> really fine
> detail.  So at that point Austin's points were exactly on target.

Glad to know I get some things right ;-)

> All of the above brings to mind the mind game: if the image looks really
> good, does it matter if more than half is made up by a committee of
> programmers who have created rules about what an image should look like?

Well, that depends on what you are trying to do.  If you are trying to
accurately represent reality, then obviously, film is going to give you a
more accurate representation.  If you want an abstract(er) view of reality,
well, digital can certainly fill your needs ;-)

Digital vs. film is in the accuracy of representing reality, both resolution
(detail) and tonality, in my book...

Austin