Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on digital and the impact on Leica
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 11:14:21 -0400

This was posted earlier but anyone interested in digital should re-read this
article,
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/1ds/1ds-field.shtml

Pay attention to the comparison to film.  You will notice that this 11MP
camera is resolving more than film with the 70-200L lens.  This has real
impact for those of us using Leica equipment.  Up until this level of
quality I haven't been especially interested in digital as I had no need for
the speed of throughput with digital and don't shoot enough film to
rationalize amortizing costs.

If you read further down the article the author demonstrates that Canon
feels confident enough of their technology that the low pass filter has been
drastically altered to encourage high resolution and good acutance with more
acceptance of moiré occurrence

Technology has marched on and the on paper results with a transportable
picture taking device now "equal" what I have been able to get with Leica
glass.  I know, I know, sharpness isn't everything: it is just this
breakthrough is a paradyn shift.

So for all the Cassandra's out there predicting doom and gloom, you may be
right.  It will be very hard for me to justify buying into an R9 when in 12
months the price point for "better" will be the same with the option of
autofocus, 3D E-TTL flash, and the usability of all my Leica glass through
various adapters.  Not to mention switching on the same chip from an EI of
100 to 1250 without having to rewind the film.  Right now, the size and
ergonomics of the M keep me in the Leica world but the man on the corner
asking me if I want some candy is becoming very interesting.

I hope that Matshusta and Leica have an Rwhatever up their sleeve and will
announce it really soon.

Don
dorysrus@mindspirng.com

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Thoughts on digital and the impact on Leica)