Subject: RE: [Leica] Downloadable Erwin Puts Book
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:57:45 -0400

At 11:50 AM 9/26/02 -0400, Ernest Nitka wrote:
>I wish I could be accepting of all that was put in front of me -
>perhaps it's my paranoia and not my profession but I think that its is
>natural and healthy to put Mr. Puts words into a special category - limbo if
>you will.  He's not like Consumer Union where they go un-announced to a
>retail store , buy the test item at the prevailing price and test it with
>results standing on their own.  They also get items from several
>manufacturers to test together.

Well, Ernie, yes and no.

Erwin Puts is not like Consumer Union in that his standards are clear and
announced beforehand.  Unlike Consumer Union, he has not, to this point,
adopted foolish, misleading, or inane standards for his testing.  (Have you
ever read Consumer Reports?  They might do well on chain-saws or washing
machines, but their reviews of cars, cameras, and the like are laughable,
due to bizarre and idiosyncratic standards.)  In the end, thank heavens
that Erwin is more honest, straightforward, adn reliable than a disaster
such as Consumer Union.

Let us just leave it that Erwin's methodology is so intense and precise as
to leave Consumer Union panting frantically in the background.

And, in any event, my Mother always told me that, if I didn't have
something nice to say about someone, to say nothing.  I suspect your mother
was as nice, well-bred, intelligent, and well-educated as mine -- and, now,
tell the truth, didn't she tell you that also?  <he grins>

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!