Subject: Re: [Leica] Mid-life crisis ???
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:27:05 +1000

Hi Henry,

For what it is worth, here goes.

When I was young, I would carry my camera everywhere and I, like you, would
photograph with great gusto, anything that either moved or stayed still. I
feel that I visually scanned everything before me searching for that
picture, but I don't think I was ever disappointed when I found that the
shots were not world beaters.. I would just wait for the next day and, in
my relative ignorance, keep shooting. Shooting was the passion and I was
not overly concerned about the sharpness of the lens or the cost of the
film.

Time changed my priorities. I became a professional and the chase for a
dollar became my main concern. Three kids at private school and University,
house, car, etc. all combine to demand a change of attitude.

The sale became the most important part of the job. I tried to inject into
the job the passion I once had, but had no real success. I found my
"creativity" had taken on a new form. I was full-on Hasselblad, flashes,
umbrellas, lightmeters and reflectors. I was very deliberate, almost
obsessive in the control I took over all aspects of the shot. I found that
I would "build" a photograph, not grab it as I used to. I  lost the
spontaneous style.

Then I went to a seminar and was given a Leica to play with for the day. I
never gave it back. Bought the bloody thing and changed my style
immediately. (Immediately over about two years, that is). I started to
carry a camera again. Started to use B&W again. Things looked different
with a small camera instead of the Hass. Still can't retrieve that
couldn't-care-less attitude I used to have, but the "sting" of photography
made a partial return. Maybe you should change from slr to rangefinder or
vice-versa; maybe try street photography. Now that you have time, could you
enrol in (gasp!) photography classes and enjoy the company of younger
students who may awaken your creative side.

Maybe we older guys should take a week off WITHOUT cameras and walk though
interesting places searching for images. I'll bet we would find more
startling shots than we would ever find if we were loaded up with cameras.
Would this waken our sensitive side? It would certainly be an aggravating
exercise. One that would ensure that we don't leave home without the Leica
after the exercise is over.

OK, that's the end of my rambling,

all the best, Henry,

Rob