Subject: [Leica] A Zeiss Photokina primer
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:27:00 -0400

Since Photokina is here, I have made a temporary page (temporary until
either (a) I figure out how to link the Zeiss URLs directly; (b) I get a
formal ok from Zeiss to host them locally; or (c) until Sunday night):

http://www.dantestella.com/technical2.html

in which I have linked and reproduced (look to the far right column) the
following articles written by Carl Zeiss in Germany.  These should give
you some basic information on optics that should help you decipher the
reports that come back, when and if they come back.  Predictably, these
have a Zeiss spin, but they are well written and understandable to the
lay person.  DO NOT PRESS "QUIT" AT THE BOTTOM OF EACH ARTICLE, BECAUSE
YOU WILL LOSE THE WINDOW.

Achromat, Apochromat, Superachromat - What is the Difference?
- -- relevant to the 90/3.5 Apo-Lanthar and 90/2 Apo-Summicron chrome

Depth of field – An insider's look behind the scenes
- -- the little scales on your lenses

How digital one-shot cameras perceive color
- -- why the Foveon chip will be revolutionary if it works

How do Zeiss T* and Rollei HFT compare?
- -- relevant to the Rollei RF and its lenses

How to determine the resolution actually reached in a photograph a
practial example
- -- general interest

Is rollfilm 220 better than 120 in terms of film flatness?
- -- for Super Ikonta fetishists inter alia

Resolution of camera lenses where are the limits – and why?
- -- general interest

10 Steps to success in high performance photography
- -- imaging chain considerations

Why Carl Zeiss lenses for Contax are made in Japan
- -- more on the history of Zeiss in the post-Ikon era

Regards
Dante

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (Re: [Leica] A Zeiss Photokina primer)