Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Truly now Analog
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:10:17 -0400

It is really hard to beat an analog camera for just carrying around with
you.  Forget batteries? It will still go click.  Exposure meter not working?
Sunny 16 rule extended will carry the day for negative emulsions.  Camera
starting to go dead on you?  Unlike digital which literally will die between
frames an analog camera almost always gives warning and will function a long
time while in death throws.  Even when my ancient, decrepit, battered SL
decided that it wasn't going to keep moving the mirror back down I could
zone focus and shoot.

Then there is the whole artistic thing with film.  Sometimes the random
accidents of silver halide produce results that you could never dream up on
your own.  Its not that you can't do the same thing digitally, it's just
that you have to dream it up first.

Sure, I could go into the Yosemite valley with a gig(4meg ccd at first level
of compression I would get about 500 exposures) of memory, a bag full of
batteries and shoot for how many hours before the game is up?  Or, I can
carry a couple of bricks of film, shoot all day, and not worry about whether
the batteries will hold up for a six hour star trail exposure.

I am not at all against digital, if I was doing weddings, or portraits, or
photojournalism, then you can bet I would have one or more of the Canokons
firing away.  At the professional level, film costs and reduced time to
output, would be winners.

But I am not professional, and I enjoy exploring new ways of doing things,
often with old stuff used in different ways.  So I hope Leica stays in
business selling to cranky anachronisms like me.

Don
dorysrus@mindsprirng.com