Subject: Re: [Leica] Mid-life crisis ???
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:46:44 -0400

I found that as I got older  there were more and more self constructed walls
that prevented me from seeing the same world that was there when I was 16.

There is no one answer as the restrictions are self-imposed.  Are you timid
about approaching strangers as Graham was?  Do you not want to crawl around
on your belly to get the right angle?  Would it be too inappropriate to just
take a picture of a total stranger?  Do you have a responsible position by
day and couldn't possibly be seen with "Goth" girls by night?

It could be a vision thing, your artistic tastes are set.  Then the only
solution is to go to shows and galleries that you would never normally
attend and pay attention to the art.  Try to understand what the artist was
feeling, saying, showing, proselytizing.

It could also be that you are far to hard on yourself,  their are only so
many Karsh's, Wolfe's, HCB's, whoever your idols are.  Perhaps you should
shoot a lot of film, print everything, tack it on the wall for a week and
then ask yourself first, why did I take this?  Second, did I capture what I
intended in any way and if not what is missing or there and not supposed to
be?  Last, on the shots that are better than most, try to retake them with
the added insight or technical knowledge, or whatever missed.  With the
added input find someplace, maybe even here, to get some criticism.

Last, assign yourself some weird for you assignment that forces you to
learn, do something, go someplace that you would like to do/go but for some
reason haven't done.

I hope this helps break through the barrier.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Mid-life crisis ???)
Message from "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> (Re: [Leica] Mid-life crisis ???)