Subject: Re: [Leica] Mid-life crisis ???
From: Paul Hardy Carter <carterph@wanadoo.es>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:10:15 +0200

Henry:

Do you draw?

If not, I would recommend this as the best way to make yourself start "seeing" again. Maybe even put the camera down for a couple of months and carry a sketch book, or enroll at a life class.

It was something that we all had to do when I was studying photography as a student 20 (yipes!) years ago. It doesn't really matter if you don't think you can draw - or even if you actually can't - it's the different way in which the practice makes you see the world that's important. When you pick up a camera again you'll find you don't even have to think about composition.

As far as the technical aspects of photography are concerned, I think that does only come with practice. But it has to be the right sort of practice - simply burning through a ton of film won't do it. Every time you press the shutter you should concentrate on making the image the best image you could possibly have got of that subject, at that time.

Good luck - but don't give up!

Paul.