Subject: Re: [Leica] R9 - flash details
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:28:34 -0400

- --On Sunday, September 22, 2002 9:03 AM -0700 Marc Attinasi
<marc@attinasi.org> wrote:

> I was not talking about multiple flash setups, just single flash enhanced
> ttl. Check out this brief description of the Nikon 3d multi-segment
> balanced fill-flash technology. I'd like this on the R cameras, it is
> state of the art currently, for auto-flash.
>
> http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/FeatureGuide/features2.html
>
> - marc

Marc,

I guess it depends on what your subject matter is, but I wouldn't put this
at the head of my R10 wish-list.

It looks to me as if both the 3D and Matrix are efforts to "idiot-proof"
the camera by making some assumptions about what the average subject matter
consists of. Such as one or two people in the foreground against a somewhat
distant background. Thus, they weight their decisions to "improve" pictures
taken in those settings.

However, I have to believe that there is a downside to making such
algorithms part of the the decision that the camera's electronics, rather
than the photographer, decides.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem