Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 37: A trip back to my hometown
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:35:50 +0200

I grew up in Denmark, specifically its second city, called Århus. Last
week I gave a talk at a conference in Copenhagen, and of course I took
the opportunity to stay with my father there for a few days, and we also
made a nostalgic trip to Århus, which he left in 1989 and has not
visited for several years.

Århus has about 250,000 inhabitants and is located in eastern Jutland,
the only part of Denmark which is on the European mainland. The town and
surrounding area have had a booming economy for the past decade, and a
lot of things have changed since I lived there (until 1983). One of the
most pleasant changes is shown in my main picture. The small river which
runs into the sea at Århus was covered up in the 1930s to widen the main
road to the port. As a result, when I lived there, this street (called
Åboulevarden) was decidedly unattractive, with somewhat dilapidated
buildings and heavy traffic rumbling towards the port. A few years ago a
new ring road was completed, leading port-bound traffic around the town
centre, and the river was uncovered again. As a result, Åbouvelarden is
now one of the most attractive streets in the town, especially in the
summer:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_37.jpg
(M7, 35mm Summilux, Kodachrome 64)

The first alternate shows one of the many pedestrian bridges that have
been built over the river:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_37alt1.jpg
(M7, 24mm Elmarit, Kodachrome 64)

Århus has a brewery, Ceres, which is one of the few remaining breweries
in Denmark that has not been swallowed up by the Carlsberg Group, which
controls 85-90% of the Danish beer market. In the summer, Ceres brings
out its antique beer trucks:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_37alt2.jpg
(M7, 35mm Summilux, Kodachrome 64)

(For the last two alternates, you may want to get out your map of
Europe...)
As mentioned, Århus is in Jutland, but the rest of Denmark is spread
over many islands. Copenhagen is on the island of Sjælland, and when I
was a child in the 1970s, the country was criss-crossed by ferry routes.
During the past 10 years two huge bridge projects have been completed,
one 18 km long, linking the island of Funen with Sjælland and another,
19 km combined bridge and tunnel linking Copenhagen with the Swedish
city of Malmö across the Øresund strait. So most of the ferry companies
are out of business now. I am always fascinated by these huge bridges
but find them difficult to photograph. The last two alternates show the
two bridges across Lillebælt, linking Jutland with the island of Funen,
and hence making it possible to drive from Århus to Copenhagen without
using a ferry. The suspension bridge in the foreground is relatively
new, from the 1960s or 1970s, I think. In the far background you can see
the old bridge, built in the 1930s and today used by trains:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_37alt3.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_37alt4.jpg

(both alt3 and alt4 taken with Bessa R2, 24mm Elmarit, Agfa Scala 200)

The complete PAW index is at:

http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw2002.htm

and comments/critique are always welcomed and appreciated.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland