Subject: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson exhibition
From: Lee England <engl6914@iamerica.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:53:24 -0700

The gallery for the exhibition in New Orleans was the Gallery for Fine
Photography   322 Royal St.   Internet site  www.agallery.com
	I probably did see the Wollcott display but didn't realize what I was
looking at; I've got a lot to learn.
	The point about the print work sheets being more valuable than the
finished prints is well taken.  I neglected to mention one
Cartier-Bresson print being sold there with an asking price of
$75,000.00  It was a print Bresson didn't want and thought not to be
good enough for exhibition.  Accompanying the print was a quote from a
letter about the print giving it to the individual to whom the letter
was written and stating clearly Bresson's thought that it was not good
enough for what he wanted.  The print was Behind the Gare St. Lazare.
Though I do my own printing, I couldn't tell an immediate difference
between the inferior print and the adequate print 15 ft. away with a
$5,000 price tag attached.  I know, I've got a lot to learn.

Lee England
Natchez, Mississippi