Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: .85x and 75-135mm
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:37:26 -0800

>I have been wondering about the dreaded M flare for several years now,
>wondering because flare has never occured with any of my Ms (2 M2s, M3, 2
>M6TTLs). Many others have also have no flare problems. Could it have
>something to do with the difference in peoples eyes? Could it be there is a
>correct and incorrect way to look through the viewfinder?
>sl

Steve,

It's real, and a lot of people have experienced it. (I'm always surprised
to hear that some folks haven't.) If I recall, Leica even mentioned that
coatings had been applied to the front window of the M7 VF to reduce RF
patch flare, thereby admitting that such a defect does in fact exist.

As some Luggers have said, it doesn't bother me much on those rare
occasions when it does occur. Slightly shifting eye position is usually
enough to get around it. I haven't been tempted by the shade for this
reason (plus I'm not thrilled by the idea that the brightlines will be
slightly dimmed).

Guy