Subject: [Leica] More Dead People and a Basic Photo-Philosophy Question
From: Thomas_Mitchell@idx.com
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:45:41 -0700

Hi Phong,

To clarify, for me it's wasn't 'shopping=dead' it was more along the lines
of 'mass consumerism for the sake of mass consumerism = dead'.  Sort of
like my feeling that 'spending hours of each day in front of the TV =
dead'.  To that end, B.D. is exactly correct in his critique of the photo.
The people aren't dead enough.  I'll reshoot given the chance and file away
the idea for another day, another time.  But what the hell, at least my
exposure skills are slowly improving...  8->

Now for my question to the List:

Do you find it better/more rewarding, etc. to shoot what you like or what
appeals to you or vice versa?

I ask because I don't necessarily like or enjoy seeing the stuff going on
in the urban environment.  Hell, I sometimes get depressed looking at my
own photos, and not just because they often suck from a technical view ;-/

Quite the opposite, when I'm happiest (outside intimate time with family)
is when I'm sitting on my board, hundreds of yards offshore with no one
around being gently lifted and lowered by big swells rolling in under a
technicolor sunset.  However, I just can't bring myself to take ocean
landscape photographs...

Best,

Thomas