Subject: Re: [Leica] "Little Annie"
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 08:40:40 +1000

>My wife's nephew visited us recently with his family. We took them to a
>friend's club where they could swim in the lake. I made a few pictures of
>the youngest child, Annie, who seemed to prefer watching her siblings. They
>are at:
>
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=236517
>
>All images done with M6 and 90mm Elmarit on Agfa Vista 200. I did not
>attempt to correct the color casts caused by foliage, grass, towels, or what
>have you.
>
>I shall be grateful for any critiques.

The 90 has isolated the child, but the images are not strong enough
to hold such individual attention. I want to know where and why she
is there, as the portrait quality is, (for me) not strong enough.
Also the colours on my screen are unpleasant, and the sunlit
backgrounds are too strong. Some seem to have flare. Being negative
about submissions is always hard, but I don't like this series. I
think you would have been better off with b/w in these lighting
conditions, when you were concentrating on the subject; wonderful
subject, with lots of potential by the way, or colour but with the
subject in the sun, interacting more with her surrounds, with a wider
lens to give a sense of place.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin