Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica sightings
From: Matthew Powell <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 02:48:19 -0500

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 08:49 PM, S Dimitrov wrote:
> I saw three Leicas today at the festival of the tall ships in San Pedro,
> CA. 3 M6s, two with 50 'crons, and one 90 'cron.
> Leica s'got to do something with their marketing. All three wearers of
> the photo jewellery were over 60.

Marketing isn't really a problem, I don't think. Leica's not after the
market that mass media pulls in - the big companies put more into
advertising their consumer and pro-sumer lines (ala the Canon 28-135
zoom). Leica could be in trouble, IMO because of costs and the digital
revolution.

I'd love to buy a Leica - but that's a lot of money for a student and
for all I know I may not have easy access to film, paper and chemistry a
few years down the road. I've all but abandoned the idea of an M6 for an
R2 or an F100.