Subject: RE: [Leica] Carrying a tripod
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:07:41 -0600

On all but the largest Gitzo I have (and even then at a pinch) I found a
solution that works for me. Not for long term back packing though.

Works especially well for carrying gear to location, or wandering round with
a camera bag over the other shoulder.

At Canadian Tire (hardware, auto, home supplies store etc) I found some
little gizmos made for those big black maglite flashlights. They are a thick
heavy duty (about 3/4") rubber band with a clip hook attached to a very
short (2") strap. (The idea is you put the band round the maglite body and
clip it to your belt). I got two of these - one goes around the centre
column as high as it will go (works on my gitzo - may just have to use a leg
on another model/brand) The other just goes on the bottom end of a leg.

Then I found a nylon webbing and neoprene shotgun strap (butler creek) in
the hunting store - kind of like a big one of those op-tech neoprene camera
straps - strong, but a nice "bouncy" give in it - very comfortable. It comes
with a d-ring at each end et voila... (I carry it head end down - balances
better - after years of lugging a 10lb automatic rifle, it doesn't' feel too
bad...)

I have the rings on three tripods now - just unclip the strap from one to
another and go. Also, if I'm shooting and the strap is getting in the way or
blowing around, just unclip it and stuff it in the camera bag.

I think the flashlight bands are called Lite Ring by Nite Ize - they make
all sorts of gizmo accessories for maglites.

Well, that took a lot longer to write than the whole 45 seconds it takes to
set up the first time!

tim