Subject: Re: Re. [Leica] About all the "give us the technical detail" requests...
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 00:01:34 -0400

Right you are! Can you imagine the writers in the Algonquin Group sitting
around the round table asking what typewriter was used to do a certain
story? Triatan Tom's worry about a little lack of sharpness was  a point in
question. When I looked at his photos, I didn't worry about any apparent
lack of sharpness- the content was beautiful, he achieved the out of focus
background, and the subject was in focus enough that it looked good to me!

When I see a photo in a gallery, I really don't whip out the loupe, and get
up to it reaaaal close and examine it for sharply defined focus, and
denigrate the photographer for being a little  'soft'! I try to see what he
wanted me to see, and appreciate it for that! I have seen some beautiful
shots made with a cardboard camera using a Polaroid back- the photographer
achieved the look she wanted, conveyed her message, and it was great.
During my hiatus, I learned to be very tolerant of the percieved
'shortcomings' of others- Hell, a coupla Margaritas, and even MY stuff
starts to look good to me!
Unless you are under the gun with a deadline, and have an editor breathing
fire down your back, and your job and your ass is on the line - lighten up!
Enjoy! Fondle that M3, burn some film- because sixty years from now, what
the Hell difference will it make!?
Excuse me while I go roll some film....

Dan (|Still crazy after all these years) Post

PS- An aside to those commenting on GIMP--- I have been using the RedHat
7.3, and GIMP is pretty good- I did download the Corel Photo Suite 9 for
LINUX, but can't get the darn thing to load right... If you have had some
success with it- contact me offlist... I need to pick yer brain!!
Even though Windows 2000 is pretty stable, it is like the puppy you cannot
leave at home alone--- after a while it poops on the floor and you need to
clean things up! LINUX is a pleasant surprise in that it will chug along for
weeks with 'nary a glitch! I am surprised that with all the Sun
workstations, and growing fascination with LINUX out there that Photoshop
doesn't at least try to get a version of there stuff on a LINUX platform!===
From my narrow point of view, LINUX is to Windows as a Leica is to a Hawkeye
Brownie, ca. 1952!
Ole Billy Bob Gates would do well to port his stuff to LINUX and make even
more money! :o)~