Subject: Re: [Leica] The Gimp
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 17:12:09 -0400 (EDT)

i am also migrating from photoshop to the gimp; i only scan for web
use so my needs are not so critical, nor do i typically scan at very
high resolutions.  the gimp's only drawbacks for me are 8-bit per color
(though there is a film version out there that does 16-bits) and i don't
have the hang of unsharp masking in the gimp. but i've been trying out
vuescan and gimp on my linux box and my new pages produced with the gimp
will soon be on my site... if i ever get the time!

- -rei

(one of the cool things about the gimp is that you can run it anywhere...
i also have it on my mac ibook, and solaris blade)

> From: David Mason <dcm@pobox.com>
>
> Mike Durling <durling@widomaker.com> writes:
>
> > I've only used The Gimp a few times but was planning to start using
> > it regularly now that I have Linux loaded.  What is the limit on
> > file sizes?  I haven't heard about this.
>

> No limit that I know of. Of course, the better the machine, the faster
> the image processing. Gimp is excellent once you get used to the
> interface - one trick is to learn or create key combos to help you
> out, otherwise you will spend half your time messing with menus... but
> of course, this comes from an old Linux hack (me) and should be taken
> as such.

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey