Subject: Re: [Leica] Flatbed scanner comment: Creo-Scitex
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:23:55 -0500

John Nebelnebel@csdco.com (John Nebel)9/3/026:12 PM

>Besides that, 8x10 transparencies are neat

Without a doubt. Every month or two I make sure that I shoot some 5x7, 8x10 or 11x14 film just to
keep my ever-more-35mm photographic mind in reality/relativity check mode.

It does sound like the BetterLight Super 8K would have given you comparable quality to the scanner
settings that you chose including the 48bit capability (I understand that you could have gotten
more out of the scanner). And then there's the issue of eliminating the film step from the
optical/chemical path and whether that would have any effect on the final output. Just theorizing
here. But it all relates to ultimate chosen workflows. It always seemed to me that the ultimate
scanner might be a BetterLight back because of its flexibility to accomodate size and use in 3
dimensional work as well.

I'm curious that you would find the Leica S series (given its digital vintage) superior to the
BetterLight technology, which I understood to sit at the head of the class for the kind of work
you described.

George