Subject: Re: [Leica] Flatbed scanner comment: Creo-Scitex
From: John Nebel <nebel@csdco.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:12:17 -0600 (MDT)

George,

I did look at the specs on the BetterLight back and it didn't appear as
flexible as the Sinarback.  I'd used a Leica S1 and the BetterLight
appeared like a step backward from the Leica in usability.

In macro-scan mode (16k x 16k x 48bit) the Sinarback would exceed the
resolution of the BetterLight, but would be limited by Mac OS architecture
at 1GB program max.

The Creo-Scitex can also cheerfully build a file that can never be opened
by any Mac program, however, in this I case I used the 8x10 camera well
under its capability (didn't fill the image area) and then scanned the
transparency well under the scanner's maximum resolution.  The
24-bit color TIFF was 465mb, the raw scanner output (48bit) would have
been 900+mb.  I'm not sure where things would have broken had the
scanner been set at 1.5x or 2x the 2000dpi resolution which I used.

Besides that, 8x10 transparencies are neat and the Pioneer Museum likes
their picture.  In spite of many year's usage of electronic imaging stuff,
I still prefer film for lots of applications.

John Nebel

PS storing these images is "interesting"