Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica info/discussion reources?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 07:54:40 -0600

The Leica-Users-Group is a mature list. Every topic you can possibly
think of on Leica has been covered before and in great detail –hint, see
the archives. The only new things are what is new in the way of
technique and equipment. This means there is a great deal of OT traffic
which some regard as a problem. Myself and others found that they join
for the Leica info and they stay for the incredible storehouse of
collective knowledge and experience available. If you photograph some
rare Egyptian pottery, you will trigger an argument between several
experts on its proper dating and classification. If this sort of thing
drives you crazy, then go somewhere else with our blessing. Just do not
try to change us, thank you very much.

There are many Leica resources on the internet and they are in a more
immature state than the Leica-Users. So if you ask a question on exactly
what the pitch of the Leica lens mount is, it may well be the first time
the question has been asked. You also will get possible one or two
incorrect answers in with the right ones.

So here is a partial list of Leica resources:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1548 (photonet's Leica
discussion board - calmed down now that is on photo.net)

http://www.leica-camera.com/cgi-bin/site_forum_main.pl?1 (Leica's own
discussion board - very nasty at times)

the LEG - splinter group from the LUG, formed after some wild off topic
silliness. Some people alternate from one to the other depending on who
they are most upset with. I have not dipped my feet here myself)

experience of it myself though they seem like nice folks)

You can also get advice and abuse in real time. Download mirc or your
favorite irc client from tucows.com and then connect to irc.newnet.net
and join channel leica (#leica). It is so very cool but oh so intense. I
can only take it for short doses myself.

If you just want plain old advice then there are three excellent sources:

http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/  (An excellent easily searched
resource on Leica and you do not have to listen to the OT stuff. It is
there if you are curious about that too :-)

http://nemeng.com/leica/ (Simply the best and most complete Leica faq on
the web. Opinionated but you did want opinions didn't you?)

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm (Even more opinions and where
quite a few of us started out)

There are many many more sites on Leica so use http://www.google.com/ to
find even more...