Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 Elmarit Experiences?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 14:27:18 -0700

faneuil wrote:

> looking for general experiences with the 90 elmarit for portraiture.
> Like - dislikes?
> I asked this question before in a different format - IE, SLR Macro lens vs
> Leica M for close up portraits.
>
> Olive ? Onions? (just had to toss that in)
>
> Eric
> --

220 by 330 mm's which is 8.66" x 12.99" magnification size on the Leica
M's 90's and 135.
These are the kinds of magnification an SLR gets without needing to be
macro by the way.
About the size of a persons head.

When i think close up portraits i think "head shots" which I've done a
lot of for models and actors, musicians and other entertainers. Most
were done at F16 or F11 in front of a white backdrop with fairly
powerful plug in the wall strobes. Sometimes i go outside on these but i
still stop down as much as I'm not wanting to miss my focus. But I'll
use an on cameaa flash outside as they sit in the shade sometimes. Or
those round reflector things.

When not using a flash outside I can shoot very fast with a Rapidwinder
or winder and in effect I'm bracketing my focusing when I'm forced to
open up more. I'm just shooting like crazy, lots of film, fast. I just
need one shot.

I'm not into throwing the background out of focus by shooting wide open
where I'm going to miss my focus with a telephoto close in shot on the
Leica M or my old N. SLRs. I'm going to just pick a very simple plain
background which does not need to be thrown out of focus. Why drive
yourself crazy?

But I use the 90 for full length shots to waist up shots. If I'm doing a
"head shot" I'll switch to the 135 3.4 apo if I have it with me.

But when it comes to portraiture, people i say you can do the whole
thing with a 90.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com