Subject: RE: [Leica] Guess the Lens
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:37:13 -0400

Actually, this is the only place on the net where I waste my days. I
subscribed briefly to the Rollei list, probably posted a half-dozen times,
and unsubscribed because it was of no interest to me. I lurk on the
Piezography list, as I am a Piezo printer, but have probably posted there a
dozen times in a couple years.

What really amazes me is this "B. D. is anti-Leica rant." I use and love my
Ms and the fabulous glass I own. That doesn't mean I have to go along with
the utterly nonsensically Leica religiosity of some on this list. It is a
camera, guys, nothing more or less. Owning one does NOT, despite what some
seem to think, make one a great, good, or even mediocre photographer. Nor
does owning one make one somehow socially superior to those who don't own
them. It's a very well made box that you use to take photos. It may work for
you as a tool better than any other photo making tool. Great. It does so for
me, too. But don't ascribe mythical properties to it. And don't ascribe some
sort of mythical properties or intelligence to the company that makes it.

If that attitude make me "anti-Leica," so be it. I happen to think it makes
me somewhat rational.

And as to being "anti-Canon" or "anti-Nikon," I am unaware of any meaningful
number of photographers worshiping at the Churches of Canon or Nikon. Yes,
there are people who prefer one over the other for specific reasons. But by
and large, Canon and Nikon users who I know tend to think of themselves as
just that, Canon and Nikon "users;" not "Canon photographers" and "Nikon
photographers."

B. D.