Subject: Re: [Leica] A nice experience
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:06:17 -0700

Nathan Wajsman........A nice experience
> gave them to the owner. She was so absolutely thrilled, it was
> fantastic. We chatted for 1/2 hour, and I have certainly made a new
> friend. It really felt good to please someone else by doing something
> that I love to do anyway.<<<<<

Hi Natrhan,
Yep they're good photographs along the lines of nice happy snaps and they
work. And sometimes they're just feel good pictures.

But the most important message is ....>>I took a couple of A4 prints down to
the shop and gave them to the owner.<<<

As you've experienced, the giving of a photo or two can mean so much to
people it's one of the best things to open doors for any photographer and it
can work in your favour so many ways, friendship, a good meal and more
importantly, it can open doors to you for many photo locations you'd
otherwise never have.

Besides what does it cost one to give a few prints to make another human
feel good? Nothing! The few penny's an extra print may cost will reap
benefits beyond your wildest imagination.

By the same token never say....."Yes I'll send you some prints." and not do
it. Why?
If don't se that person for the next ten years after telling them you'd send
prints the first thing will say when you meet again is....."Where the hell
are my pictures?"

Besides it tarnishes all of us in the eyes of the subject and they never
believe a photographer again, or worse. They may never cooperate with
another shooter .

Here's the simplest trick in the book... worked for years.

Subject asks can they get a print?..... your response. "I'd love to send you
a print, here's my card with address where to write. Please send a note
telling us where and what the picture was and it's important to write as I'm
sure you understand how many thousands of pictures we take and we can't
remember everyone."

Now you've said you'll send a copy, the subject feels good and you walk away
clean.

If they don't write.... that's their problem and you've not made a promise
you not likely will keep. People loose the card and forget about it, blaming
themselves for loosing the card and many other reasons they don't write.

But whatever you do if you get a note in the mail telling you exactly what
and where the picture was taken, you damn well better send them a
photograph! I've found you placate the print request by giving the card and
99.9% of the time you wont get a thing in the mail. Then you wont feel
guilty because you made a promise and didn't keep it.

ted