Subject: Re: [Leica] Graham's landscapes
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:36:02 -0700 (PDT)

I'm another who really likes Graham's landscapes.  I'm with Tina--they
give me such a peaceful feeling, and they are simply beautiful.

Many of us have a problem evaluating someone else's art if its frame of
reference is very different from one's own.  For example, if one's world
view is that of oppression to be exposed, wrongs to be righted, and pathos
to be felt, one may find something missing in a photo that just says,
"isn't this beautiful?"  The opposite is equally true.

The trick is to try and see the image through the eyes of the person who
took it.  The discussion over Graham's images reminds me of a fairly
typical argument between a classicist and a "sturm und drang" romanticist.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Graham's landscapes)