Subject: Re: [Leica] M2 Rangefinder Replacement
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:04:14 -0600

Good question but I cannot give you a complete answer. The M3 and M2
finders were glued together with an optical cement that deteriorates
over time. They are definitely more susceptible to an impact damaging
the finder. The later cameras (when? but certainly M4-2 and up) use a
stronger and more stable optical cement.

Practically I would not worry about it. I have an M2 that was built in
1960 and it does not have, and has not had, an easy life. The finder is
still bright and clear. Buy an M camera for features you want not for
reliability. They are all the same except for the notable exception of
the early M4-2s.

John Collier