Subject: Re: [Leica] POW New Photos: Boys of Summer - Now Non-Leica photos
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:15:26 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> For God's sake, Phong, do NOT apologize. You not only posted photos, you
> posted some good photos. And I, for one, would rather look at good photos,
> or even interesting bad photos, taken with a Fuji disposable party camera
> than look at banal crap taken with a $4500 Leica M and ASPH Leica lens.
>
> But that's just my opinion. ;-)
>
> B. D.

I'm closing my eyes now BD trying to conjure up the crap taken with a
$4500 Leica M and ASPH Leica lens.
My lack of vision. My bad memory. I've no doubt it's out there!

But what IS fresh in my mind are the pictures we just saw. Not high
level T&A.  Borderline cheesecake on the beach with a healthy overuse of
fill flash which make them look like a weight lifting contest taken with
a Brownie Instamatic and a flash cube.

They don't much look like any Leica pictures I ever saw!
Not in the Leica catalogs or ads! Certainly not the cover!
Not that someone couldn't do them with an R and I'm sure have.

To me Canons with their complete focas on ultra high technology, cpu's
and micromotors embellish best the antithesis of what Leica cameras are
all about.

They are antiLeicas! We must feed them to the volcano..

You've got your Nikon AF and digital cameras sitting next to you perched
and ready to go. Have you really posted Nikon picures to the LUG?
To me the lug is not about Fine photography taken with Nikons and
Canons.

The lug is about crappy photography taken with Leicas!
Smirky HCB wannabe's yea that's the ticket!

I've learned to live with it - there's always Usenet or Photodo for when
I want to see quality imagery..

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com