Subject: [Leica] Digilux use by professionals
From: Ian Watts <i.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:23:59 +0100

Tina Manley wrote:

> If you like using rangefinders, you will like the Digilux better than the
> D60.  The D60's viewfinder is not much better and thier LCD screen is only
> good for reviewing what you have taken. I used the D60 for a day and did
> not like trying to frame the photo through that tiny viewfinder.

I'm not sure whether there is much point comparing the Digilux with the D60.
We might as well discuss the relative merits of the R8 and the Minilux Zoom.
That said, you are absolutely right that the D60 viewfinder is a bit pokey
(and dim) and one of the least satisfying aspects of the D60. However, I
hardly think it constitutes a good reason to choose the Digilux over the D60
- - particularly as the latter is superior in so many respects.

> ability to use regular lenses is a plus, but then you have to worry
> obsessively about getting dust in the camera and on the fragile CCD.

This is simply not true. Unless you happen to routinely take most of your
images at f16 or f22 and/or live/work in a flour mill, dust on the sensor is
really not a problem with the D60. Some say that the CMOS chip is less
attractive to dust than a CCD. Whatever the reason, I never experienced any
dust related problems in a year of using a D30 (and more recently a D60). I
was always careful about changing lenses but never felt the need to be
obsessive about it.

> I'll get a digital SLR when I can get one that uses my Leica lenses and has
> a viewfinder like the R8.

Many are already using their R lenses on a digital SLR - generally the D60
or 1D via the EOS to R mount adaptor. Not sure how practical it is (and
you'll still have the crap viewfinder) but the quality will surpass the
results obtained via the Digilux P&S.

Personally I have decided that digital capture is still, on the whole, too
much of a faff and have sold virtually all my EOS gear (including both D30
and D60) in favour of a smallish M system.

Ian Watts