Subject: [Leica] from SLR to M6 -- what fun!
From: "Mark J. Rosen" <cmra.rosen@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:25:15 -0400

I've only recently acquired an M6 TTL, and I thought I'd share my
impressions after a week of shooting.  My other gear is a Nikon F4s with
35-70/2.8, 80-200/2.8, and 24/2.8 lenses, an SB26 flash, and filters, etc.
I generally carried the lot in a Domke F2, or, my latest favorite, the
smaller Tenba metro press pak, which is similar in size to the Domke F4AF
but better padded and just generally easier to work from.  The thing weighed
a lot, but I'd gotten used to it.

I bought (all used) an M6 TTL, with 35/2.0, 50/1.4, and 90/2.8 lenses.  The
50 and 90 have built in telescoping lens hoods, and the 35's is the
detachable rectangular one.

What a pleasure to shoot with the M6!  The first day shooting it was a
bright sunny day, and I shot a roll of Supra 100, generally set at 1/125 and
f16, but varied according to whether I was shooting in the sun at the beach,
or in the shade.  Focussing was just simply brilliant.  It's amazingly easy
and fast, and my results showed virtually every shot had dead-on sharp
focus.  With my Nikon, I used manual focus almost exclusively, and still got
many not-so-sharp pictures, usually in dim light with wide angle shots.  The
Leica makes it simple.  I'd read that film loading was awkward, slow, etc.,
but I've now loaded 5 rolls without a single hitch, and just as quickly as
my Nikon, if not faster.  No problems at all.

The meter in the Leica appears to be quite accurate, and since I really
learned exposure on the Nikon F3 (with a heavily center weighted meter),
I've adjusted very quickly to this meter and virtually all my shots are
properly exposed.  I shot a roll of Velvia a few days ago and I'm quite
pleased.  A roll of Reala really makes me consider switching from my usual
Supra, as the photos came back outstanding.

I was a bit nervous about switching to the M system, I have to admit, for
the various reasons that SLR's have certain advantages.  But after shooting
with the M6, I'm absolutely smitten.  I can't imagine lugging around my big
Nikon and big lenses, when my M6 with three little lenses can handle just
about everything.  I'll miss shooting at 200mm, but the truth is I didn't do
it much, and when I did I was shooting wildlife that really demanded at
least 300mm of focal length, if not 400mm.  So it's not much of a loss.  I
do have a telescope, which the M6 will not really work with because I'll
have no ability to check the focus, though I can take shots directly into an
eyepiece.  I'm thinking of picking up a beat up F3 just for that purpose.

Perhaps the greatest surprise for me was how nice it is to shoot with a lens
and see the surrounding field -- it made composition a whole different game.
And far easier than having to hunt with the SLR.

As you can tell, I'm really enjoying this.  I just wonder why I didn't do it
sooner!

Mark J. Rosen
mjr@grok.org