Subject: RE: [Leica] R9 scoop
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:03:02 +0200

After fifteen days on the seaside either on holidays and on my wife's final
health recovery I've  just come back home and I'm reading my two weeks
mails. I think that the R9 subject is fascinating. I honestly and humbly can
contribute as I'm a regular user of a Nikon F5 and Canon EOS 1V, and
corresponding high end lenses, and a month ago, of of a Leica R8. Perhaps is
too soon for writing down a complete comparation which with no doubt I'll
publish in my web site as soon as my wife will be completely recovered (two
or three weeks). I've done some tests of Vario Elmar and Nikon zooms too.

But generally speaking, with no flame desire, R8 is built at highest quality
level I've ever seen in any SLR, his finder is by far the best and handling,
I've got truly big hands, is fine. Shooting on the hiperfocal basis and
aperture priority metering is a true pleasure. And the output, and I have
not yet any APO tele or the new 21-35 Vario Elmar, is at the level of the
above mentioned cameras with their 28-70mm f1:2.8 zooms, just if you shoot
at f1:8, which, by the way, I habitually do. I've previously shooted with a
Contax RTSIII and I wasn´t so comfortable as with the R8.

But If I need shoot in a hurry, if I do not get enough time to "think" my
pictures I do prefer any of y japan SLR. In general my EOS and L lenses are
not so far from Leica output. I agree with BD judgements that Leica R is not
a modern camera but it is not a bad camera. In fact I am in love with my R8
after a first unsuccesfully try. But just if I was a pro...BTW a german
magazin in september issue does "publish" the next arrival of R8. Just few
months after my R8 purchasing! Bad luck.

Kind regards

Felix