Subject: [Leica] LUGfest DC daytrip is ON for Sat., October 12th
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 07:36:19 -0400

All...

We have a bunch of people now signed up for the Garber facility tour on
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12th at 10:00 am; I'll be sending fax request to Garber
for a 10+ group size tomorrow.

PLEASE NOTE:  The Garber facility CLOSES TO THE PUBLIC FOR GOOD on April 1st
of next year!

If you have ever wanted to see it and have been putting it off for one
reason or another, this will be one of the few opportunities remaining
before the public tours cease.  Starting in March of 2003, some 300+ large
pieces and artifacts of the collection will be moving to the new Steven F.
Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles [http://www.nasm.si.edu/nasm/ext/].  From that
point on, *all* NASM restoration will be done at the Dulles facility and
Garber will truly be utilized just for storage.  The current list of
artifacts that will be on display at Dulles
[http://www.nasm.si.edu/nasm/ext/artifacts.htm] DOES NOT include some of the
items you will see on this Garber tour.  So if you want to see some cool
historical pieces and enjoy the company of some fellow LUGgers, send me a
heads-up quickly, as the available spaces are going fast.

For those of you planning on using flash, Don Dory has informed me he had
success with bouncing at guide number 230-ish [Canon 430 flash, 100 speed
film].  However, he does note that even 230 was not enough to image some of
the pieces hanging in the far corners of the hangers.  I'm planning on
shooting primarily tripod existing light, with bounce flash where the
opportunity presents itself.

I will be putting together an agenda for attendees [morning tour, place we
can go for lunch afterwards, etc.].  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

/Mitch