Subject: [Leica] Panasonic Engineer on Lumix
From: "Robert Rose" <RJR@usip.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:48:21 -0700

There is an interesting plethora of messages on www.dpreview.com between
the Panasonic engineer who works on the Lumix and users.  Look in the
Other Digicams forum.

Some interesting things to be gleaned:
1.  The cameras are not internally identical.  He would not give
specifics, except that the compression algorithm is one of the
significant differences.
2.  He had recommended that the 400 speed be dropped.
3.  The camera was designed for prints, not screen images.
4.  Higher capacity SD cards are soon to be released.

It is also interesting that he has drawn the sort of attacks usually
associated with Leica-phobes who don't own a Leica.  Bet he didn't
expect that!

Also, my nascent web site is up, with some shots using the Digilux, and
also some Noctilux and infrared images from Hawaii.  I still have to
work on internal links.
www.robertrose.net

Regards to all,
Bob Rose