Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo education
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:31:59 -0500

I have a bit of experience teaching beginners. Here's some of what I've
done:

Things to cover:
Every button and dial on the camera and what it does.
How every button and dial inter-relates to every other button and dial.
Film choices.
Turn them loose to shoot.
Give a simple assignment...a natural light portrait (something they can all
accomplish with what will surely be a wide range of cameras).
Have them shoot slides (or break into small groups with prints) so the
images can be shown to the class and discussed with the whole group.
Give another simple assignment (landscape, pet, texture, color, light, self
portrait...) and continue to discuss as a class.

Have the students bring in photos they like from magazines and discuss their
merits relative to depth of field, composition, color, etc.

Try, if you can, to think back to what you WISH someone had taught you when
you were just starting out. TEACH that. In my case, I was soooo wanting to
understand the depth of field button and VIOLA! one night when I was a
student, I GOT it. It was a glory moment.

You could also poll the class to find out what they hope to learn or have
covered in the class.

Good luck..................you'll have a great time, I'm sure.
Lea