Subject: RE: [Leica] Photo education
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:25:07 -0400

It's not exactly a beginning class...but if you go to
http://web.mit.edu/21W.749/www/syllabus.html

you'll find the syllabus for my MIT documentary photo course.

Also, for what it's worth....I am convinced that very very few of today's
students understand what a still photo is - even if they take them. They
have been raised in a post-Life&Look world, in which almost all the images
they see are moving and have sound. When they do take still photos, they
take them mistakenly believing that the still photo will convey to the
viewer everything of which the photographer was aware at the time he or she
tripped the shutter - the sounds, atmosphere, smells, background, etc. You
will find that quite often a student will show you a photo and say something
such as 'when I took this, blah blah blah," not understanding that all that
counts is what was captured on film or pixels. Nothing more, nothing less.

My belief is that if we can impart that lesson, we've done our job.

B. D.