Subject: Re: [Leica] Foo X Bar sent a virus
From: Emilio Perea <eperea@walkereng.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:26:14 -0500

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 07:47:52AM -0400, John Brownlow wrote:
> Not trying to teach granny to suck eggs, but the policy on the lists I run
> is that up to date virus protection is a condition of membership of the
> mailing list and any member who ('whose computer') sends a virus to the list
> membership automatically disqualifies themselves for membership until they
> can demonstrate they are virus free and protected.

My only complain about granny is that she sets Reply-To: to the mailing
lists. :-)

Your requirements seem unrealistic.  How do you determine whose computer
sent the virus?  Both the header From: and the envelope address are
likely to be forged.  All you can tell about the sender is the IP address
of the computer that connected to your MTA, which may not be the one
that is infected...

Besides, not all computers are particularly vulnerable to viruses.  And
simply bouncing all messages from Outlook and Outlook Express will get
rid of 99.9% of the problem. :-)

Message from John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com> (Re: [Leica] Foo X Bar sent a virus)