Subject: [Leica] Summilux-R 50/1,4 question...
From: Tommi Kähärä <dummy@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 00:28:24 +0300 (EEST)

I just got this lens, Summilux-R 50/1,4 latest ROM version. Anyone who has
the same lens, latest version, please help me with the following
question.

Is it really normal for this lens that the diaphragm doesn't open
completely? It looks different than my other lenses which seem to open
completely when set at the largest aperture.
In addition to this, when stopped down, the diaphragm hole seems to remain
same in size between the shift from f:11,5 to f:16. This is also
different when compared to my other lenses where I can see clearly the
difference between the last half stop and the smallest aperture. When
attached to a camera (R8) and aperture ring set at f:1,4, the diaphragm
opens that "half stop" but when I push the DOF lever, it then closes
again. Otherwise the lens works perfectly with a camera and there isn't
any mechanical fault visible. So it appears to me that there is a
systematic error of about half a stop through the aperture setting range.

The REAL problem is as follows:
Could this be the actual, proper way how this lens works. I have been told
so by two separate local Leica dealers, but it is really hard to believe,
especially when this is also the only summilux-r 50/1,4 (newest version)
they have seen. I really can't find another sample from which I could easily
check if it functions the same way. I would like to know if my lens is
really faulty before I complain about it more (I bought it used but it
has a warranty) since the salesperson thinks the lens is perfecly ok.

Tommi

 PL 300 FIN-53101 LPR | +358-5-2232198 | http://iki.fi/dummy

Replies: Reply from "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Summilux-R 50/1,4 question...)